The Submission Page
A little about Destiny’s Gateway Romance Fanfiction Archives: This site was formed in 1996 by Princess Destiny, who used to do all the indexes and the upload all the Fanfiction herself. In 2005, the Archives went automatic with the efiction script, which allowed the Authors to create accounts and upload their own Fanfiction.
The Archives were originally formed with the idea of having Fanfiction that had the ‘Couple’ it was written about having a Happy Ending. Since Princess Destiny wasn't fond of reading a wonderful story, only to find out in the end that the 'Couple' didn't end up together, or ended up dying! But she had a great love of stories that were romantic and were based around a certain 'Couple' within an Anime/TV Show/Movie etc. She had in mind ‘Couples’ who were never together or took several Seasons to get together, but we also love Fanfiction we’re the pairing already has an existing relationship.
But we ended up changing the Happy Ending rule a few years later, so we would be able to accommodate more Authors into the romance genre. :) However, as it is a romance site, we will only have Fanfiction that does not have the ‘Couple’ ending up with someone else, or die in the end, or a plot that generally ends up miserably. Put whatever you want into the story itself, whether it be violence, angst, adventure, pure fluff or comedy, or just a romantic or smutty encounter, but the end product in itself is a romance for that pairing.
The Archives are completely automated: If you have not already done so, please Register for an account. Once you've logged in, click on Account Information and choose Add Story. The form presented there will allow you to submit your story. DGRFA is a completely automated Archive like Fanfiction.net which means that you, the Author, can upload your own Fanfiction.
How do I select the Categories?
The selection form works by changing each Category and sub-Category with a drop-down. Once a Category is selected, the drop-down options will change. To select a ‘Couple’ for your story, you need to choose a main Category (eg: Anime), wait a second and go back to that same drop-down list, the Category will now have changed into a sub-Category (eg: Sailor Moon), wait another second and go back to the drop-down, it will now display all of the pairings for that Category (eg Usagi And Mamoru). Click on Select to add that Couple to your Fanfiction and it will go into that Category.
[G-PG 13+] All G rated Fanfiction becomes a PG 13+ as default, since there isn't much difference between the ratings. This is for mild scenes and swearing. Nothing you wouldn't have a little kid reading!
[M 15+] This for action scenes, mild violence and mild sexual situations. No sex scenes! If you mention a sexual body part, or have a character touched on that body part, then you must give it this rating at least-anything more graphic should be listed as NC-17+.
[NC 17+] If you have a sexual scene, then it's definitely this rating, even if the rest of your Fanfiction appears to be a PG-13+!
[R 18+] This is reserved for Fanfics with rape scenes, child abuse and horrific violence with graphic descriptions of blood and injury. Fanfics with sex scene's that would usually get an NC rating, but contain one of these are given this rating.
1. Your story must be a romance story where the two characters 'Get together', 'Have a romantic encounter' or 'Have adult relations' by the end of the story. In other words, you don’t kill them off, or have them end up with someone else. Feel free to bump of any other Characters. LOL.
2. If one of your Couple does die, but comes back in a Sequel, or they end up together in the Sequel, then your Fanfiction is welcome. Just make sure to already have at least the first Chapter of the Sequel to put up here also, and let the the readers know in your Author's Notes to go to the continuing Fanfic.
3. Original works (Meaning not Fanfiction) need not have our Archive’s main rule apply. It’s not Fanfiction, so have whatever ending you want, happy or not and with whatever pairings.
4. Crossovers are allowed on the Site with non-canon pairings. It is the only Category where you can have two Characters from a different AnimeShow/Movie/Book end up together and have a romantic relationship. Outside of the Crossover Category all Fanfics must have a canon pairing. An example of a canon pairing would be Usagi and Mamoru from Sailor Moon. For a non-canon pairing Usagi would end up with say, Sesshoumaru from Inuyasha. Couple pairings for Crossovers must be requested, as there are far too many combinations for me to create for in advance.
5. Spell check all stories and poems, and proofread all entries for grammar and other aspects of writing before submission. Your grammar and spelling need not be perfect, but it needs to have less than one mistake for every 100 words.
6. Please make sure to respect the reviewers as well as the writers. Constructive criticism is always accepted, as well as praise for the Author, but flames are not tolerated in any manner. To flame an Author is in no way an aid to their writings. Members will be banned and the negative reviews deleted.
7. Please put Author's Notes into the box above the ‘Story Text’ where you add in your Fanfiction. You do not need to include disclaimers, as there is one for the entire site at the bottom of each page.
8. You must submit your story with correct formatting. Make sure to have capitals at the beginning of sentences, separate paragraphs, make sure that speech is clearly marked etc. All Chapters are to be clearly marked as such, with a horizontal like above and below the Chapter heading. When the Fanfic is completed, put ‘The End’ and make sure to tick the box in the Submission form If you need a visual reference of the correct formatting, you can refer to one of the Example Fanfics we have set up. You can find a template for completed and unfinished Fanfiction there.
9. Dreams, Flashbacks, letters, songs…please make sure to bold these and put a horizontal line before and after, so that the reader can tell what’s going on. It is really hard to determine a dream or flashback from the main plot if you give no indication that it is that. If you need a visual on what we mean, go to this link: Example Fanfics
10. Fanfics under 1000 words must have the Drabble Genre picked when you fill out the Submission Form.
11. Any Fanfiction at 1000 words with separate Chapters must put all content into the one or more pages. If your Fanfiction has over 20 Chapters, try and condense the Fanfic so the readers won’t have to go to that many pages. Over the years, I have been told and noticed it myself, that if a Fanfic is masssive and has Chapter after Chapter on separate pages, the reader will sometimes avoid clicking on it.
12. No plagiarism. This is absolutely not accepted and your name will be added to our Blacklist if we catch you doing it! You will also have the Fanfic removed, along with any reviews and will be banned fromthe site immediately. There are no second chances.
13. We accept html or text format. All submissions can be copied and paste pasted into the text box in the submission page. You can also browse to your computer and upload the Fanfic if it is already in the correct format for submission, but there is a bug in the script, so you might get an error using this method.
14. No stories that contain statutory rape. (Adults having sex with minors.) On that same note, no pairings (Categories) will be added to the Site that have romance/a sexual relationship with anyone under 14 years old. Why that age? A heck of a lot of Anime has their main Character/s around that age in a romantic relationship, including Sailor Moon.
15. Secondary original characters in the plot cannot dominate the Fanfiction, nor have a Couple pairing created for them. If you have new Characters that are not part of the Book\Movie\Anime\TV Series and your own creation, they must be in a secondary and therefore smaller role than the Characters from the Category you're writing for. In other words, have all the secondary characters that you like, but don’t give them a more active role than the pairing you are writing for! For example, if the main pairing is Usagi and Mamoru (From Sailor Moon) and I created a girl called Ann to be a Sister to Mamoru, she cannot suddenly be the main focus of the plot.
16. No Mary-Sues! No self-insertions. No new main Characters of your creation (They must be secondary!). We also will not accept any 'real life' people Fanfics such as writing plots about your favorite band members or movie stars.
An example of a Mary Sue or a new main Character would be creating new new Senshi (In the Sailor Moon universe) that suddenly appears and is more powerful and beautiful than the other Senshi. She will dominate the plot and the Fanfic, in the end, will be all about her rather than your Couple. For a description of a Mary-Sue see here for a reference.
17. Plot! Please make sure that the Fanfic you submit to the Archives actually has a well-thought out plot to it about the romantic relationship of your Couple (You would be surprised at how many don't go absolitely anywhere and just ramble on with no direction). If you do have a Fanfiction that has none, clearly mark as a PWP (Plot? What Plot!).
18. Be sure to add your story in the proper category! This is really important, as it will let your readers know what ‘Couple’ your plot is about.If you find out there is no Category or Couole pairing for your Fanfic, just let me know and I will add it ASAP. You will need to tell me what the Anime\Book\Movie\TV Series it is for, and the Couple that you are writing for. If it is a Crossover, make sure to tell me about both of the Shows that you are using.
19. A Fanfic that has been rejected may be resubmitted once the appropriate changes have been made. Unless you have plagiarised, you’re welcome to submit your Fanfiction again once changes to our guidelines have been made, if you happen to inadvertently break a rule.
20. (Coming soon) New Author's sometimes need help with the basic structure of the Fanfic, such as paragraph spacing, adding in a comma or fullstops and spellchecking. Some Members can help you out with this and even the Site Admin would be happy to lend a hand :) If you would like someone to go over your work before you post it up here, go to the link in the main menu and click on beta-readers for a list of those Authors who are happy to help. We will not touch your story in any other way, and will in no way change, or remove what you have written there without your full permission.
Failure to follow these guidelines will result in a warning. We operate on a "three-strike" system. After the third warning, you will be banned from uploading for 7-14 days and/or until you clean up your Fanfic and resubmit it correctly. We will absolutely not do everything for you, so make sure everything is correct when you submit your Fanfiction. During a banned period any Fanfiction submitted by you will be deleted from the new submissions queue without being looked at. Admin reserve the right to delete anything they deem unfit at any time. To check on members' banned status, view The Blacklist.
For other questions, please reference our Help Section.
By submitting your story, you are stating that you've fully read and understand these rules and that you understand the consequences of failing to comply with said terms. If you fail to comply, the Admin completely reserve the right to question you with you about it, in a 3x7 cell, under a bright light, wearing bad secret service uniforms. LOL
If you have questions or do not understand something – do not submit your Fanfiction. Email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask us, or get on the site forums and ask us. We are more than happy to help clear things up for you so you can do this properly!